Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 07:28:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        housley@frenchknot.ne.mediaone.net, noor@NetVision.net.il, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw behavior, is it normal?

> From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:44:47 +0200 (MET DST)
> Cc: housley@frenchknot.ne.mediaone.net, noor@NetVision.net.il,
> 	freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Sender: owner-freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Re. the problem with ipfw configurations...
>
> should we add another instruction to ipfw
>
> 	<action> <proto> between A and B ...
>
> to ease life in configuring firewalls ? Performance of a ruleset
> will be only marginally improved, but having simpler rules will
> indirectly make configurations more secure by reducing mistakes.

  i understand between to be a short cut that replaces "from A to B"
  and "from B to A".

  i prefer the present syntax, it allows me to control who originates
  the connection.

  seems to me that the new syntax would not be used very frequently.
  most of my rules (27 of 30) have "any" as one endpoint.  dont think
  that i want to use a "between" in cominbation with "any".

  seems to me that its better to have people understand what they are
  configuratin rather than make the configuration syntax hide the
  asymmetric nature of tcp.

jmb