Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:30:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Open Systems Inc." <opsys@omaha.com>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, Zippy <seth@interport.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Open Systems Inc. wrote:

> Not to condone IE or MS but netscape renders slower than hell.

Navigator for X is slower than hell.  Navigator 4.5 on my PII/450 is about
on par with Navigator 4.5 on a P166 Win95 box.  Hmm.

> I can pull up our local news papers URL and it sits for a good few seconds
> while it renders the page then draws it. IE just loads it right up.
> I just don't like netscape that much anymore. Its slow, buggy and slow.
> And between the two choices IE seems more stable, and faster.
> Granted im sure its full of hacks and whatnot but it's still faster.

Wait until you've got to use Windows update.  I've seen the actual windows
update crash MSIE various times, then watch as *.microsoft.com was treated
as www.microsoft.com, and oh have you seen the MSIE5 installer GPF yet?
Or have you seen IE3 basically take over your computer as you're
downloading something with your modem?  It's crap.. a rose by any other
name...

From what I've seen MSIE is pretty nice when it works, which isn't too
often for me.  And as unstable as most of the browsers are, I think it's
just the X11 versions of Navigator that are suffering the most.

> I cant believe I just endorsed a MS product,

/me smacks you with a dead penguin

- alex