Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 13:47:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Year 2038 or 2106?

I'd always read that fbsd was good until at least 2038, as far as
date/time computations, since the time is stored as a 32-bit integer of
seconds since the Jan 1, 1970.

Just on a whim, I decided to check this.  I took 2^32/60/60/24/365 and
added that to 1970.  Now, I know I didn't account for leap years, but I
still come out to the 2106, not 2038.  I always assumed that an *unsigned*
integer was used, if I use a signed integer I get 2^31/60/60/24/365 plus
1970 which *does* yield 2038.

So, I guess my questions are:  Is the date an unsigned or signed integer?
If signed, why?  If unsigned, why isn't the "date of death" 2106?  Or did
I just completely misunderstand or miscalculate?

Too much time on my hands ...

Cliff