Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 15:07:03 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernelbuild "the new way" (Was: APM not even a sign)

On Sunday 23 June 2002 01:17 am, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:
> On Saturday 22 June 2002 23:20, David Syphers wrote:
> >
> > I belive the "new way" is _only_ for when you're upgrading the entire
> > system - it's for use between buildworld and installworld.  The "old way"
> > is still the way for when you're just building your kernel.
>
> Well, I think Handbook is a bit vague on this. It does say that "the old
way"
> should be used when the source haven't been updated. But since I alway cvsup
> my sourcetree prior to a kernelbuild (and subsequent make world) this really
> doesn't apply. "The new way" should be fine for me, but alas, isn't.

It's not clear what order you're doing things in.  If you cvsup, then follow
the buildworld - buildkernel - installkernel - installworld route, that
should work fine, and there's something wrong if it doesn't.  But you can't
build a new kernel and install that, and _then_ buildworld.  All sorts of
nasty problems can arise from kernel and world being out of sync.  This route
of doing things has never been supported.

The "old way" is now only for situations like where you want to add a device
or a kernel option to a system, but don't want to upgrade the system to a
later version.

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago