Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:33:24 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
Subject:   Re: Reasonable Hyperterminal alternative?

On Monday 13 December 2004 01:16 pm, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.
wrote:
<snip>

> And, on that line of thought, I suppose that kermit is a/the
> canonical piece of software, traditionally speaking; but last I
> looked, it was a significant time investment unless you just pick up
> things like that automagically.  Featureful, though; but not part of
> base.
>
> But, we'll soon have every alternative listed in this thread
> if we keep redefining "reasonable", which is a rather subjective
> term, I suppose ...
>
> Kevin Kinsey

One of our vendors only supports dialing in via hyperterminal and the
use of kermit for file transfers; but my transfers always (no
exaggeration) aborted with a message referring to "too many errors".  I
now use kermit in FreeBSD; and finish regularly with 0 errors, a fast
transfer and no headache.

I'm haven't learned a lot about kermit because its basic use meets my
needs.  Some cool tips:

1. I execute ssh from within kermit to use kermit's file transfer
capabilities over a secure connection.

2. You can script kermit for periodic chores. For example, I use the
short script below to dial the vendor mentioned above using a modem at
cuaa0:

#!/usr/local/bin/kermit
set modem type acer-v90
set line /dev/cuaa0