Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:20:39 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

Just to to correct a misunderstanding...

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> Daniel, here, sees the X install as being "user-friendly".  Is the text
> based install not?  Granted, it's not the point and click interface that
> windows users are accustomed to, but, clearly, if users can't navigate the
> menus and manage to find their way to a help menu (and don't know how to
> read install documentation)... It could be reasonably argued that they are
> going to experience a rude awakening when presented with the good old root
> prompt.

Hey, I like CUI. I'd rather install with a CUI than a GUI, all other
things being equal. And besides some quirks here and there, I really
like sysinstall. So what? I'm a Forth programmer. I'm the guy who wrote
/boot/support.4th, and find it easy to read and understand, even long
after writting it. I'm the guy who wrote the builtin wrapper code in
src/sys/boot/common/interp_forth.c, though I'd prefer not to disclose
that information in public. :-)

But the fact is that when we get featured in a magazine article,
user-friendly install == GUI. No GUI, it's not an user-friendly install.
End of review. You can kick and scream all you want, that's the way it
is. Either we live by these rules, or we loose.

> >From a techical standpoint, yes, an X based install would be far too large
> for a single floppy, even at the simplest level.  AND, again, as someone
> who has installed FreeBSD dozens of times on various systems, I think I
> should also stress that I have NEVER installed FreeBSD from CD :-)

Me neither, but CD is still the most popular installation media these
days, though we, Open Source OS, probably get more network installs than
CD installs.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
who is as social as a wampas