Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 18:02:59 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.tfs.com
Subject:   Re: Add new slice to running system, comments?

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> >Hmm.  Now I'm a little confused 8)  Are you saying that the vn device maps
> >the on-disk location of the file (its block map, I presume) and keeps
> >this internally to avoid using the fs-specific read/write functions?  If
> >this is the case, then I take everything back and will concentrate solely
> >on using it 8)
>
> The file system keeps the block map.  Read the code.  The vn driver could
> keep an optimized form of the block map (one extent for contiguous files,
> a few extents for slightly discontigous files...).  Write the code.

One thing at a time 8)  I'm still fuzzy on the merits of having to mount
the filesystem before vnconfig'ing the node to get at the extent(s).

Yes, I'll go read the code before bothering you anymore, but without the
background understanding of What Everything Does, you spend most of your
time chasing your tail 8(

> Bruce

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[