Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:51:51 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net>
To:        Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bugtraq inetd DoS exploit *PFFT*

Thus spake Marius Strom (marius@marius.org):

>On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:50:17AM +1100, Nick Slager wrote:
>>
>> The inetd shipped with FreeBSD appears vulnerable to the inetd DoS
>> exploit posted on bugtraq.

>> As a workaround, start inetd with the -C flag.
>
> This is not a "vulnerability", per se.  inetd(8) will suspend a service
> for 10 minutes if a certain amount of them are started within a certain
> time, hence your log message. Not to deny that it's a limited DoS
> condition, but it was programmed that way.
>
> To update this on a per-service basis (say, your pop3 daemon takes lots
> of hits under normal traffic) do the following:

[ snip inetd.conf entry and man page quote ]

erm, thanks, I do realise this. The advantage of the -C flag is being
able to specify the maximum times a given service can be invoked from a
single IP, ensuring services are still available for other clients.

Nick

--
Nick Slager		| Quidquid latine dictum
nicks@albury.net	| sit, altum viditur.