Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:20:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        tim@futuresouth.com (Tim Tsai)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of 21140AC driver ?

> > what is the status of the 21140-AC driver ? I have a lab of brand
> > new diskless machines, running 2.1.6 -- The machines with the
> > 21140-AB work fine with the stock 2.1.6 if_de.c , the ones with
> > 21140-AC do not. I have remade a kernel with the if_de.c taken from
> > netbsd; now the old cards seem not to work, and the new cards work fine
> > up to the point where I try to access the nfs-mounted filesystem (as
> > also Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com> experienced.
>
>   I've tried limiting the r/w size to 1024 as suggsted by the handbook

was that a suggestion specific to the if_de driver or a general
thing with low-performance boards (which the 21140-AC is not!) ?

Anyways this make me suspect either some MTU mismatch (but that
seems unlikely, since the relevant code in the two drivers looks
the same) or some buffer-management problems in the new (netbsd-derived)
driver.

I cannot try this now, but if someone has a machine alive with a
21140-AC, can s/he try pinging the machine with large (~1500 bytes
and more) packets and see when/if it stops responding, possibly
using tcpdump and taking a note of the offending packet size ? That
could give some insight to track down the bug.

	Thanks
	Luigi