Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:50:47 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info

David Greenman wrote:

> >supporting it if someone ported it over to freebsd? they have drivers for
> >just about every other major OS except BSD. it would be nice if the driver
> >was updated BEFORE cards and MBs that dont work started showing up on the
> >we try one out.
>
>    "drivers for every major OS"? They have drivers for Windows, Window/NT,
> and Linux. Of those Linux is the closest to FreeBSD, but that's like saying

Count in SCO as well - that's at least 3 somewhat different drivers,
for OpenServer, UnixWare2 (DLPI), UnixWare7 (MDI), plus
perversive customized OEM versions for Compaq and ICL.  Plus
probably they have drivers for Netware and Solaris too.

Though if they did not start supporting FreeBSD as it is I doubt
very much that they would support a port of their Linux driver
to FreeBSD.

Maybe the most productive way would be to find contacts at Intel:
they use FreeBSD code in their IA-64 BIOS so there is bound to
be someone inside Intel with somewhat better knowledge of FreeBSD.

-SB