Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        jwd@bsdwins.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, asmodai@wxs.nl
Subject:   Re: cp -u patch

:
:On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
:Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com> wrote:
:
:
:MD>     There is a whole lot more to doing an efficient copy then simply checking
:MD>     the mtime.  It's silly to try to integrate it into 'cp'.  Use cpdup
:MD>     instead.  plug plug plug.
:
:	OK plug away - why is cpdup better than rsync ?

    Hardlinks aren't well supported, chflags aren't supported at all,
    and rsync does not scale well for large filesystems.  At least that
    is my experience.  Don't get me wrong, rsync is a cool little program...
    but it isn't very efficient.

						-Matt