Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:37:59 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Justin Ashworth <justin@structured.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating a fs without swap

> I'm creating a new filesystem per FAQ 3.13, but I'm having problems
> writing the disklabel changes to the disk without a swap partition. All

It might be worth putting a swap partition on anyway, especially if you
use SCSI disks where the controller can cope with interleaved accesses.

> I want is one directory (/), not an entire filesystem (I understand a
> filesystem to mean / and swap at the minimum and preferably /usr). Am I
> going about it the wrong way? If so, what's the right way?

No, I think you're going about it the right way.  Unfortunately, the
necessary work to convert sysinstall into a user-friendly disk-adding
device is still going on.

I wrote the FAQ entry just before 2.1.5 came out, based on what worked
in 2.1.0.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work in 2.1.5 :-(

If anyone has successfully added a new disk using 2.1.5's sysinstall,
I'd be interested in hearing about it.