Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2000 16:34:47 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccard ethernet FA410-TX

I have procured a Netgear FA410-TX card for use in my laptop  The
card works ok with Windows, so I believe the hardware to be ok.  When
I boot FreeBSD on the machine and run pccardd, it recognizes the card
and I can ifconfig it, but any attempt to send results in ed1 timeouts
and no data goes out on the wire.  This is with a 4.0 snapshot from mid-May.
I do have the up to date pccard.conf with
config 0x20 "ed0" ?
vs. the older buggy one.

In searching for information on this, I found a reference mentioning that
newer versions of this card have problems autodetecting the speed, and
that under Linux the program listed at http://www.eh3.com/fa_select.c
could be used to set the speed.  Looking at the lights on the transceiver,
it does appear to be attempting to negotiate speed - all three LEDs are
flashing at about once per second.  The other end is an unmanaged switch,
so I can't wire that end down.  I also tried specifying "media" and/or
"mediaopt" at ifconfig time, but the ed driver, true to the man page,
seems not to support this.

The card is not conflicting with IRQ or memory with anything else, and I
have tried it at different IRQ and memory locations just to be sure.  Does
anyone have any experience with newer versions of this card, or any suggestions?
I wasn't completely successful in getting fa_select.c to compile under FreeBSD;
there were some structure members which didn't match up and my knowledge of
that stuff isn't up to snuff I'm afraid.

The machine in question is a Compaq Presario 1200.  If anyone has
suggestions or ideas I'd be most appreciative.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com