Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:30:23 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of KSE?

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:59:24PM +0800, David Xu wrote:
> > Hello Julian,
> >
> > Friday, March 16, 2001, 12:18:15 PM, you wrote:

> > JE> KSE is not into coding yet.
> > JE> we have a basic design and have soem documents but
> > JE> have been waiting for the SMPng stuff to settle a bit before we
> > JE> hit the kernel with a second huge change.
> >
> > JE> It will not be ready for a long time. do not assume that it
> > JE> will be ready for when you need it becasue it will not.
> >
> > I know KSE is not related to SMP and will run on UP. my primary
> > idea is want to run parellel I/O task in same process with pthread,
> > simply because FreeBSD pthread does not allow me to do multipile
> > I/O tasks at same time on disk file, of course, it is also conflicted
> > with SYSV IPC, so I think of KSE. I don't care about SMP, CPU is
> > enough fast now, I have already seen 1.3G hz CPU, how fast! I think
> > Intel and AMD can very easy to double their CPU clock, hope I can see
> > 3Ghz CPU in next year. I really do think KSE should work before SMP,
> > but it is obvious not. think about Apache 2.0, it is already
> > multi-threaded, FreeBSD pthread will be blocked at disk I/O, it is very
> > bad for Apache 2.0 .
>
> I believe Julian's SMP-related comments were referring to the fact that
> SMP development has rendered the -current kernel somewhat unstable at
> times (to say the least).  KSE-related work would introduce yet another
> probable path for instabilities, and the developers prefer dealing with
> one huge monster at a time.  There is also the fact that KSE work shall
> most probably touch many places in the kernel that SMP development also
> touches - yet another reason to postpone KSE until SMP is kind-of do

That is it.
Having said that,
Jason and I have patches that start on the first steps towards KSE.
That is, the breaking up of the present monolithic 'process' structure.
given current slight increases in stablility in -current/SMP
I am currently thiunking about whether these changes can start to be added
soon.

I will also be looking at updating and expanding the KSE documant that Jason put
out.

> G'luck,
> Peter
>
> --
> You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001