Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:07:01 +0100
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFS

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:30:40PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> I'm not sure what the point of your question is, but:

Essentially I was wondering if following this announcement, and the
availability of code XFS was likely to make it's way into
/usr/src/contrib one day.

I understand the GPL issues but have spent the last 4-5 years
building/maintaining/fixing soloutions for large ISPs/telco/webhosting
companies.

In that time I have come to appreciate the perfomance and recovery
characteristic of XFS in IRIX.

Also appreciated the performace reliability and maintainability (is that
a real word?) of FreeBSD.

In addition I had to fix a couple of busy services that had been deployed
on Linux and broken under load (usually through a combination of poor
design and the limitations of the Linux kernel).

I now find myself in the movie/internet world, looking for 5TB+ file
systems to run 24x7 XFS is attractive. Linux is not.

>  3) it's interesting to note that SGI would probably have had an
>     easier time porting XFS to FreeBSD than to Linux; most of the
>     caveats listed on that page would not apply to FreeBSD.

:-) I came to that conclusion too.

--
GeoffB