Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 01:33:09 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "'Arcady Genkin'" <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: imap and pop3 via stunnel (was: UW-IMAP server and secure authentication)

Your discounting the ability to transfer the key by other mechanisms.
In any case, there's nothing preventing anybody from setting up shop
on the Internet and distributing signatures.  People get all hung up
on Verisign because they were smart enough to come in out of the rain
and stick their sigs into the 2 major web browsers, but there's
nothing preventing any other certificate authority from being used,
provided that the key is transmitted securely.

Here's a thought, a CA can set itself up, get a Verisign certificate,
then use it to bootstrap their own signatures into interested parties
web browsers, than those users can go to other sites that are running
certs signed by that CA.

Frankly, in my opinion it's a damn shame that Verisign has been
able to successfully propagandize most of the Internet into believing
that they are the Only Way Truth and Light to secure data transmission
on the Internet.  It's tremendously retarded the growth and use of
SSL on the Internet, in my opinion.