Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 22:47:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Zombie processes

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I call this intent of confusion, at least.  It's not helpful to the
> > one who's been asking the question in the first place, either.
>
> What about the innocent developer, whose code works on all other
> platforms?

He was too innocent then.  AFAIK, this never worked on any BSD system
before.

(SA_NOCLDWAIT vs. SIG_IGN)

> Well, that's an implementation detail... it only bears on the amount
> of work required to do it, not whether or not it should be done.

Not really.  I've already told you that the real work is not required
for implementing the SA_ flag, but rather for releasing the old
process' address space completely.  It's much more convenient to do
this from the context of another process.  It turns out to be the best
solution to reparent the zombie to init, and send init the SIGCHLD.
This sounds hacky, but all other ideas i've tried were even more icky.

> We have a lot of non-POSIX historical behaviours.  This is another
> (though POSIX systems implement it as well) which is worth emulating.

Nothing to `emulate', but something to `implement'.

--
cheers, J"org