Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:57:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Claudio Di Martino <claudio@cdima.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2 fails to probe parallel port

Hi!

I have a strange problem with the parallel port of my Compaq EVO D510.
I'm running 5.x on this machine since 6/7 months ago.

Finally I decided to attach a local printer to the parallel port and
found that the kernel couldn't detect it.
ATM I'm running a GENERIC kernel, but in precedence I compiled my kernel
with these:

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

I tried several hints for the ppc device without effect, changing
irqs, ports with acpi enabled and disabled but still nothing.

dmesg always shows this line:

ppc0: <Parallel port> failed to probe at irq 7 on isa0

What am I missing?

Thanks for any reply!

Ciao!!!

Claudio Di Martino                          claudio@cdima.net
Unsolicited and/or junk e-mail to this address isn't accepted