Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:41:36 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Auch <rauch@beyondtrust.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/159721: Usernames that are too long get logged onto GUI console as root

On Aug 12, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Oliver Pinter wrote:

Hi,

> On 8/12/11, Robert Auch <rauch@beyondtrust.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Number:         159721
>>> Category:       misc
>>> Synopsis:       Usernames that are too long get logged onto GUI =
console as
>>> root
>>> Confidential:   no
>>> Severity:       critical
>> A user with a logon name longer than 8 characters gets logged into =
FreeBSD
>> as "root" after successful authentication as themselves, when logging =
in
>> through GDM.
>>=20
>> This problem cannot be replicated in GDM on Linux, and appears to be =
related
>> to the 8 character username limit in FreeBSD.
>>=20
>> [root@freebsd81-64 /usr/home/LAMPI/localuser10]# su =
LAMPI\\localuser10
>> su: username too long
>>=20
>> Any users coming from BeyondTrust PBIS or Likewise Open or NIS or =
LDAP who
>> have usernames longer than 8 characters get blocked logging in via =
ssh or
>> su, but when authenticating via GDM, they are dropped into the OS as =
"root"
>> with $EUID=3D0 and $UID=3D0.
>>=20
>> [root@freebsd81-64 /usr/home/LAMPI/localuser10]# id =
lampi\\localuser10
>> uid=3D239600760(LAMPI\localuser10) gid=3D239600129(LAMPI\domain^users)
>> groups=3D239600129(LAMPI\domain^users),1545(BUILTIN\Users)
>>> How-To-Repeat:
>> Create a user in a shared authentication engine with length($user) > =
8.
>> make sure that the user shows up in NSS via "id". Then log in via GDM =
as the
>> user.  Open a terminal and type "id" to see that the user is now =
"root".

First of all this is a ports issue. I added the maintainer of the port =
to Cc:.

But could you please follow-up to the  PR with the version of gdm you =
are using.
Checking the port I see quite a few fixes lately:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/gdm/Makefile

If you are on the latest version the port should be marked broken for =
security
reasons and you should work with the maintainer to get it fixed.

/bz

--=20
         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.