Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:58:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        ccba <ccba@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PostScript LAN Printer problem part 2

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, ccba wrote:

>  Hello:
>
>     The LaserWriter IIg is connected to a hub via a UTP cable.
>
>     My FreeBSD machine is also connected to the hub via a UTP cable.
>
>     My mac is connected to the hub and it prints to the IIg perfectly.
>
>     The purpose for this wire up is for both the Mac and the FreeBSD to
> share the
> same printer.

I thought I would add one note that everyone else seems to be
forgetting.  Your Mac is most likely printing to that printer via
Appletalk, not IP.  Your print server attached to that printer (which
is IN the printer in many cases) must support Unix LPD services over
IP for you to be able to print to it from FreeBSD.  Otherwise, you
might have to look at compiling Appletalk support into the FreeBSD
kernel and using some of the tools found in the ports collection.  I
have no idea wether this would actually work or not, since I've never
tried it.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )