Date:      16 Feb 1999 16:18:18 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        keith@apcs.com.au
Subject:   Re: Radius bug ?

In nlc.lists.freebsd-questions you wrote:
> I have just started using the FreeBSD Radius port and found a problem.
> In my system every 15 minute a new 'users' file is created for radius.
> To get (radiusd-cistron-1.5.4.3) to read the new file I have to kill radiusd and
> start it up again.
> Is there any way around this problem ?

Hi Keith,

As far as I know any radius server derived from the original Livingston
code needs to be restarted to load a new users file.

I use radwatch on my system which will automatically restart the radius
server if it dies. You may want to try using that (with a shorter delay
before restarting radiusd) so that you may simply "killall radiusd" to
effect the reload. There will be a short downtime, but the radius clients
should retry a number of times anyway.

When you authenticate from the system password file you hardly ever
need to reload the users file.

Cheers.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |