Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:04:39 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Alexander Kabaev <kan@FreeBSD.org>, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Groff problems (was Re: alpha tinderbox failure)

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 10:45:52AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>=20
> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
>  > If you remove -fno-exceptions from gnu/usr.bin/groff/Makefile.inc and
>  > recompile libgroff and groff, it seems to work (I did not check it
>  > thoroughly).  But I think this only has a side effect, because Groff
>  > does not seem to have any exception code (please correct me if I am
>  > wrong), and why the hell it should depend on -mcpu, if any?
>  >=20
>=20
> Interesting.  I wonder of the lack of exceptions is what's confusing
> ld?
>=20
Seems so.

With -fno-exceptions and last delta to groff/Makefile backed out:

$ roff/groff/groff -V
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: roff/groff/groff: too few PT_LOAD segments

The same, but without -fno-exceptions:

$ roff/groff/groff -V
troff -Tps | grops

I wonder if the follwing commit might be relevant to the
-DNOSHARED issue with groff:

: kan         2002/10/19 16:03:35 PDT
:=20
:   Modified files:
:     libexec/rtld-elf     rtld.c
:   Log:
:   Change the symbol lookup order to search RTLD_GLOBAL objects
:   before referencing object's DAG. This makes it possible for
:   C++ exceptions to work across shared libraries and brings
:   us closer to the search order used by Solaris/Linux.
:=20
:   Reviewed by:    jdp
:   Approved by:    obrien
:   MFC after:      1 month
:=20
:   Revision  Changes    Path
:   1.68      +12 -12    src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c

> As to mpcu: On alphas, the compiler has more chance to make mistakes
> if its compiled for CPUs < ev56 which do not support byte/word
> instructions.  In those cases, it needs to generate shifty/masky code
> to pull 8 and 16 bit values out of 32-bit loads and stores.  This has
> a history of being more error prone.  Eg, some complex ports work on
> stable at high optimization levels with -mcpu=3Dev56 which don't work
> without -mpcu.
>=20
> If we have to, we can always compile groff as -mcpu=3Dev56 because we
> emulate these instructions in the kernel on older machines.  That
> would make groff run about like molases in January on older machines,
> though, as each byte/word instruction would generate an illegal
> instruction trap and that trap would be handled by the alpha trap
> handler..
>=20
Can't we make it the default in GCC, or in share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,