Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:28:11 -0600
From:      "Murray's Listserv Account" <mgd@brutus.converging.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to clip&email last lines of log file

I have written a .sh script and use cron to email a log file to my email account
on a daily basis. I could easily delete the previous day's log account
before the current day's log is created but I wish to have a
historical account of the log. Alternatively, I could create two logs:
running and daily and delete the daily... But, I started thinking
about clipping the last lines of a log and emailing the last lines.
For example, the log entries for each day are only 6 lines each. How
do you clip lines from a file. The .sh scripts are run as root and
root uses the csh shell. I do not have the perl port installed. Is
there a shell script/command that would do the job?

Murray Davis
Converging Technology Solutions
Edmonton, AB