Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:40:18 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

> > FWIW, this has been gone over many times in the past.  We even had a
> > workable solution, but unfortunately Richard W. (the originator of said
> > feature request) refused to acknowledge the issues and propose a
> > solution that would satisfy all problems.
>
> This is mad! :)
>
> The easiest solution is the one that I proposed in the PR, which is to
> use the effective date of the latest date in the $FreeBSD$ files.

Won't work.

> Of course this means going through each source file, but that's only
> time.

Time is a precious commodity, especially when you talk the entire tree.
Plus, each user may have a different subset of the tree (some wouldn't
have kerberos, some wouldn't have doc, some wouldn't have release,
etc...)

No standard.

> Doing anything with CVSROOT/ and cvsup, etc, is complexity that
> isn't needed.
>
>     l=`find /usr/src/sys | xargs grep '\$FreeBSD:.*$' | sed \
> 	's/.*\$FreeBSD://' | awk '{ print $3 "-" $4 }' | sort -n | tail -1`
>
> Kind of thing.

Way too much overhead and you wouldn't get a consistent answer.  Kind of
like going to buying a hardware store just to hammer in a nail. :)

Nate