Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 02:23:10 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Caldwell <caldwell_david@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 12:45:14PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > My theory is that UNIX and operating systems that work like it will
> > never die and they are fairly complex to understand,they require a fair
> > amount of reading to be done before trying to make additions or changes
> > and the rewards for working at it can be immense.

I think you do discount some of the things that can be learned from
DOS batch file programming (laugh if you will...I learned some pretty
damn important stuff there) and QBasic (the advantage here is that the
two may have friends also programming in QBasic -> larger support
group) too quickly.  That said, the limit to what UNIX can teach you
is much much farther away than the limit to what DOS can teach you.

> > Anyone can use DOS and Windows but it take a fair amount of brains to
> > use UNIX and not crash it while maneuvering thru it.
> > Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I go for it....any input would
> > be most helpful and from more than one source would be
> > appreciated...especially one with kids.

Hmm...  This reminds me of when I decided my brother (about the
same age as your kids at the time) needed to learn perl.  I printed
up the perl4 manual, gave it to him, and insisted he spend every
spare moment reading it.  He never did get through the thing (or
even come close), but I suspect it was a valuable experience...
(It [telling him to read it] was for me, at least...  :-).  More
than learning to read, or anything else for that matter, I think
he learned some amount of personal discipline.

Anyways, I think what you are proposing is tricky to pull off and
happens more often by chance than design, but certainly possible...
:)  The one problem is that many kids now-a-days are attracted only
to graphics and glitzy lights.

I have yet to meet a young boy who doesn't have at least a passing
interest in programming (accuse me of being sexist if you want...I
suspect it has something to do with the "control" aspect, which
actually reflects negatively on those interested in it, if you think
about it...).  I wonder if there is a Tcl/Tk book that the two could
handle.

I think if your goal is short-term, you're not going to be succesful.
However, if you take a long-term view and approach, then you may
do quite well.

> > I am at a loss as far as my daughters math skills but any suggestions
> > there would be helpful.

Ph.  She's 9 years old.  They don't teach noth'n in math at 9.  I
believe the correct thing to encourage at that age is a desire to
understand _why_ things work the way they do.

Hmm.  Remember when you were in school?  ;-)  I think I've seen
enough people have their marks switch polarities that I don't
believe the things we should be teaching young children are how to
get good marks, how to study, or how to do all their homework.  I
think it comes down to perserverence, self-confidence, and
determination.  Reworded, it comes down to teaching children to do
their work not because they'll get a cookie in exchange, but because
it is the right thing to do and has its own rewards.  The ever-patient
role model.

[And no, please don't tell me the skills they teach at 9 years are
basic skills that are required for all future maths...Watching
Calculus students who still enter things like 20x5 (or simpler)
into their calculator, I can say they're pretty useful skills, but
they're definiately _not_ required...]

Of course, how far you can go with this really (really) depends on
the child.  :-(   :-(

If it's any consolation, I bet a lot of the people here could relate
that they were given low or failing math marks at a young age...
(I know I could).

> About the biggest thing I'm realizing from having a house full of
> computer semi-literates is that the biggest stumbling block is the
> ability to work with files, including editing.  I'd recommend that
> your kids learn those concepts early on.

I don't see that.  From a pragmatic perspective, the biggest problem
here is asking questions, which it seems people are afraid to do
since I'm told I give rather intimidating answers too often (the
people telling me this are probably right).  If I was to pick a
"most-lacking basic skill", I think I'd choose the ability to
research problems on the Internet.

All IMHO, of course.  :)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.