Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:11:57 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Modest Proposal for Java(tm) dependency selection among ports

Johan && all,

> > * http://www.metaverse.nl/~ernst/freebsd-java-proposal-20011116.html
>
> Looks good . . . a big step in the right direction.

Good. It's still incomplete though. I will try to improve it today...

> Actually, some of us will be interested in development tools, and some
> of us will be interested in applications.  A quick review of
> freebsd-java (and in particular, the effort going into a native 1.3.1)
> should indicate that there are plenty of us interested in development
> tools.  And the same can be said for appliations porting too.  Phase
> one should be getting a working bsd.java.mk.  Phase two should be
> getting ALL ports in the tree (or coming in) to use the build
> environment extentions.  Phase three should be to port like crazy to
> get the desirable development tools and applications into the tree.

Okay. Sounds kewl:

1] Create simple bsd.java.mk according to the final proposal.
2] Modify all current ports to use the new system
3] Get more applications in the tree
4] Modify portlint to produce warnings in case of fixed references to JDKs
5] Find a way to change a JDK at runtime (*after* install)

Something like this. Phase 1 is at the moment the most important, that's for
sure :-)

> A better way to handle this, IMHO, would be for the JAVA_VER[SION]
> switch to perform double duty.  It would work like this:  JAVA_VER
> would, by default be set to "" entering into the JDK/JRE selection
> logic.  This allows automagical selection of the appropriate version.
> However, JAVA_VER[SION] could also be manually set to select a specific
> version.

Well, the idea of mandating a certain version in *one* variable sounds good.
That's certainly an improvement. But having a variable serving double-duty
does not sound too good, somehow. A variable is either input or output, I'd
say. I just asked this explicitly on freebsd-ports...

> The one I've run into is StarOffice.  Probably, these apps will all be
> LINUX apps themselves.  Probably too, they will attempt to interface to
> the JDK/JRE in a non-standard way (through a plugin, direct linkage to
> shared libraries, etc.)

Okay. I suggest moving this to somewhere beyond phase 1.

> One final thought, although the logic to influence preference for
> native/auto-built JDK/JRE's is wonderful in theory, in practice it
> locks us into JDK 1.1.8.  Sun won't let us build a Java2 binary for
> distribution at present--and that is a painful practical reality.  We
> should not discriminate against manual builds until such time as we
> have at least one "full-citizen" native Java2 in the tree capable of
> binary distribution and/or automatic build.

Nah, not really. But it will mean that a lot of ports may fail since they
need you to download distro files manually.

> We need some implementation pro-types so we can "play" with the
> challenges.

s/pro-types/proto-types/  -- right? If so:

Yup. My planning is to make the proposed solution for phase 1 final and then
create a bsd.java.mk that people can test themselves. It will probably be
modelled after bsd.ruby.mk.

Another thought: We could introduce an input variable
'INSTALL_JAVADOC=[yes|no]' too, especially suitable for Java library
ports.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ