Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Myrinet, etc.. (Re: code talks: announcing EIDE bus master patches)

Chris Csanady writes:

 > > > I'd also like to point out that the 300Mb's is acheived using an IP
 > > > stack layered on top of some active messaging protocol. (which is
 > > > implemented on the io processor on the nic.)
 > > >
 > > > As far as the TCP/IP stack under FreeBSD, all you can push through it
 > > > is about 150Mb/s.  This is somewhat unfortunate, although surprisingly
 > > > linux doesn't seem to manage much better.  I think it would be quite
 > > > nice if we could correctly implement a zero copy architecture..
 > > >
 > > > Chris Csanady
 > >
 > >Actually, that's not true.  I'm using an in-kernel IP driver layered
 > >on top of Myricom's MyriApi general-purpose messaging software (which
 > >is kernel resident).  It hooks into the network stack the way any
 > >ethernet driver would (and gets hit with a copy for each xmit from or
 > >receive into user space like anything else does).  There is software
 > >that's downloaded onto the interface card, but it has no protocol
 > >specific knowledge.  When its sitting under the IP driver, it is used
 > >the same way the firwmware on any ethernet card would be used -- the
 > >driver tells it a MAC address that it wants something sent to, and it
 > >sends it, etc.
 >
 > Sorry, I guess I assumed wrong.

Me too.. I hope I didn't over-react.

 >                                      However, the numbers you are
 > reporting are vastly different from  he ones mentioned  on myrinet's
 > web page for 2.2.1.

Yeah.. the UDP numbers on Myri's page are a little out of date, plus
the TCP numbers are from a benchmark run w/TCP send & receive space at
their 16k defaults.  The b/w nearly doubles if you crank them up to
64k.

Also, my 356Mb/sec is taken when receiving from an alpha.  I cannot
transmit that fast with an Intel box yet.

 > >The fact that we're running over Myrinet & not ethernet is transparent
 > >to any application.  In this configuration, with the hardware I
 > >currently have available (memory b/w challenged Pentium Pros) I can
 > >receive UDP traffic at about 356 Mb/sec and send UDP traffic at a rate
 > >of a about 280Mb/sec.  TCP streams are around 275Mb/sec.
 >
 > That really is quite impressive--is your driver available?  I would
 > like to play with it when I get a chance. :)  I'm also quite
 > interested in how your interrupt/buffer architecture looks.

Sure.  There are pointers to both the distribution tarball & a CVS-web
browsable interface at http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/manic/ip/

 > As for memory bandwith limitations, I can't wait for the alpha
 > port. ;)
 >
 > Chris Csanady

In terms of memory b/w, the alphas are ... "interesting".  The older
21171 core-logic chipset alphas (AlphaStation 500, AlphaStation 600,
EB164, PC164) leave a bit to be desired, especially when both the CPU
and a gigabit Myrinet interface are competing for the memory system.
The newer 21174 core-logic chipset alphas (Personal Workstation
series, PC164lx) are much better.  See
http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/manic/ip/dma-perf/dma-bcopy.html for some
graphs that illustrate this point.

Drew

Andrew Gallatin				http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin
Duke University				Email:		gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Department of Computer Science		Phone:		(919) 660-6590