Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:39:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Holger Wolff <wolff@cargex.de>
Cc:        Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>, <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ISDN with AVM Fritz ISA Classic

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Holger Wolff wrote:
> "Andrew Gordon" writes:
> >
> > If you want the I4B answerphone to wait before answering (eg. to allow
> > your other 'phones time to ring), you want:
> >
> >    alert     =  20
> >
> > or similar.
>
> Thanks .. this is exactly what i'm looking for ... but why is it called
> alert?

Because that is the name of the ISDN protocol message.  When there is an
incoming call, the exchange sends a 'SETUP' message.  If your equipment
wants to answer the call immediately it can reply with a 'CONNECT'
message.  If it doesn't reply at all, the exchange will time out and
assume that there is no equipment connected, so there is another message
'ALERTING' that your equipment can send so show that it is ringing the
phone and may be able to send the 'CONNECT' message after a while.

It would be more obvious if the message was called 'RINGING', but
presumably the people that wrote Q.931 decided that some phones might
flash or buzz rather than ringing and so chose a more generic word....