Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 10:14:34 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au
Cc:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
> Or convince FreeBSD developers to simply add a DHCP client to the base
> sources and build a boot/install floppy with that functionality.
> No user cost. No user hassle. Why not?! Sigh.

Agree that this should be done for now.  Absolutely.

In the long run, an extensible sysinstall will help with these
matters.  I haven't really examined them yet, but feel safe in
assuming that there is a fair amount of unused space on the
two floppy installation diskette set.

It shouldn't be necessary to extract everything that might ship
on these floppies for every user.  I'm not certain what the minimum
installation footprint is right now but would probably be safe
in assuming that it is growing.

I sincerely believe that getting the filesystem layering code into
shape is a good first step toward a more flexible sysinstall.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net