Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:58:32 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        3d@freebsd.org
Cc:        shocking@prth.pgs.com, dfr@nlsystems.com, cokane@one.net, multimedia@freebsd.org, shocking@ugly.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: nvidia driver for XF86 4.0 (was: DRI on XF86 4.0)

> I am in contact with nvidia about creating a FreeBSD kernel module,
> they say it is not too difficult.

Woo Hoo! Don't start me salivating like that! The kernel interfaces to their
libraries didn't look too difficult, but I'd not used nm to find out what
Linux kernel stuff the library was calling.

> > There are supposedly some legal encumberances to be gotten rid of before
> > they can fully open source them.
>
> Why do you think so? Have you seen some statement from them in that
> direction? If yes, I would be interested to read it.

I'm just repeating what someone on the Utah-GLX list said after contacting
nVidia. Apparently a third part wrote much of the drivers and they're looking
for a release from them.

	Stephen

--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California