Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:54:23 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   portupgrade broke something, and pkgdb -F won't fix it

Ok,  I just  tried a  portupgrade for  several ports  as I  usually do
(every couple weeks I try to catch them up), using:
 portupgrade -RN <port list>

So it got  to a point where  it was trying to install  wget, saying it
was  updating  the  package  database, etc..  And  it  stopped.  Still
cranking CPU cycles, and all, increasing, even. But never finished.

I finally  broke it off and  had to reinstall directly  from the port.
Now  pkgdb -F  does  the same  thing.  It starts  up,  prints out  the
following line:
# pkgdb -F
[Updating the pkgdb in /var/db/pkg ... - 279 packages found (-2 +2) (...)

And freezes. The CPU load for the ruby process grows to about 95%, and
bounces around between that and 99%, never finishing.

I'm a bit lost.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Miksch's Law:
  If a string has one end, then it has another end.