Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 04:05:22 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        SimsS@IBM.Net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: IIJ-PPP demand-dial with dynamic IP on both ends

Steve Sims wrote:

> OK,I relent!  I've been mucking with the -auto feature of iij-ppp for days
> and can't get it to work reliably.  I've come to the point where interactive
> mode works flawlessly every time, but can't get the blasted thing to reliably
> demand dial.
>
> I've looked at the ppp.conf.samples, .filter.samples, .linkup.samples until
> I'm blue in the face.
>
> I've even had it sorta-work a couple of times -- the *FIRST* time a
> demand-dial situation occurs -- but it won't work reliably on subsequent
> demand-dials.
>
> Also, it seems to *NEVER* work if I:
> 	# telnet localhost 3000
> 	PPP ON localhost> quit all
> 	#
>
> and subsequently restart ppp -auto [system] from the command line.
>
> The biggest problem (I think) is that the addresses on both ends (ISP and
> local) are dynamic - I can't figure out how to set up the ifaddr stuff to
> accommodate this scenario.  All of the references - source, manpages,
> handbook and FAQ - seem to assume that I'll know, in advance, what the remote
> side address will be.
>
> Does anyone have a working ppp.conf and / or ppp.linkup file that works in
> -auto mode with both ends of the line having dynamic addresses?

The following entry in `/etc/ppp/ppp.conf.iij' is probably pretty close
to what you need:

   #
   # Here, we assume that IIJ server has 192.244.177.2 as their address.
   # This assumption may not be correct, but we'll fix it later.
   # Also, take a look at ppp.linkup.
   #
   #	% ppp -auto iij-demand
   #
   # Use dummy ping to generate a call to IIJ.
   #
   #	% ping 192.244.177.2
   #
   iij-demand:
    set debug lcp
    set phone 0355118852
    set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: MyUserName word: MyPassword PPP"
    set ifaddr 0 192.244.177.2/20
    add 0 0 192.244.177.2

First, delete the `add' line.  The file `/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sample'
contains (better) `add' logic, anyway, so just rename that file to
`/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup'.

You're not sure of either address, so you can indicate that by a '/0'
after each address:

    set ifaddr 160.124.92.116/0 192.244.177.2/0

It shouldn't matter what addresses you use in `set ifaddr'.  You
should even be able to use the actual line above, because it says
(in effect) "I really don't care whether you use these addresses or
not".

I found that using 0 (as in the example) for the local address
didn't work well, and use a static address assigned to me for
connecting to another ISP (the same `ifaddr' works for both).  The
local address won't be acceptable to this ISP, of course, but the
'/0' gives the go-ahead to change it.

This setup requires a dummy ping (as mentioned in the comments) to
kick start it, but only on the first occasion following a reboot.
Thereafter it will dial out automatically as required.

--
Robert Nordier