Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:54:05 +0000
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: multi-user: multiple consoles in FreeBSD

Nick Hibma wrote:
> Let's not forget about the possiblities that might emerge from this.
>
> x servers with lots of PCI slots, exactly for this purpose
> x graphics cards with multiple connectors for monitors on the back
>         (they exist, I believe, otherwise it won't take long, now
>         windows has multi head support)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that we have a problem with PCI bridges. I'd love
to buy a machine with eight PCI slots. I'm afraid I'd overtax the processor
before I have all my toys hooked up. (1 ethernet + 7 video? Whee!!!)

> And yes it will be slow. But having an extra place to work at for only
> ECU 499.99 including monitor is something one or the other might go for.
> See VAX VMS in the old days. That worked, on a CPU the 'size' of a 486.

The comparison I like to use is ftp.cdrom.com. If a PPro/200 can shovel out
435GB a day, imagine what a faster machine could do. Get crazy: Quad PII/400.
That ought to handle any number of video cards. :-) My ISP likes to run the
above under NT and call it a news server. 512MB of ram. Complete waste of a
machine. On a sidenote, they got what they deserved when my mailbox became
corrupted. They had to rename all my mail files. All 160+ of them. Worldmail
under NT. At least UN*X only has one mail file.

Hey, I'd like to do a double header on my machine... But I don't have USB, and I
would like to see a way to feed in keyboard and mouse data. Multiple keyboards
and mice would definately be nifty.
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>