Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:39:57 -0800
From:      "Chris Smith" <chris@amgroupadmin.com>
To:        "Freebsd Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Linksys "Network Anywhere" ed0 device timeout and no free config for 2nd card

Hi all,

I am setting up a firewall and nat gateway for a client of mine on her
old Toshiba Satellite 400CDS (the pentium 75 version with 8MB RAM).

I am not new to FreeBSD but I have never played with pccard hardware
before.

I have followed some recent threads on the "ed0: device timeout" issue
and have tried all the suggestions (e.g. narrowing down irq selections
to known free irqs, using the fa_select.c code and executing it in
pccard.conf, merging the latest pccard.conf with the Linksys
modifications for 0x80000, and compiling the kernel with "device ed").

Unfortunately I am not in front of the machine right now so I will have
to send specifics when I get access to it again.

I started with a load off the 4.2-RELEASE CD and cvsupped to 4.3-BETA
to see if there was any improvement in the support.

I have two NICS: an Accton 10/100 pccard adapter which works fine in
NE2000 mode, and a Linksys "Network Anywhere" pccard adapter which does
not (the $40 cheapie from CompUSA).

I have two issues:

1.  The Linksys adapter appears to detect fine from pccardd and is
installed on ed0 with an IRQ and port without complaint.  When I reach
the login prompt, I see a message above that says "ed0: device timeout".
Memory serves this notice as a misconfigured IRQ, but since this is my
first crack as pccard devices I am not so sure.  I thought that these
resources are auto-assigned at runtime.  Of course, I cannot get
connectivity with this network card.  I read the mailing list archives
and found that many people have encountered this problem with different
makes and models of cards, but the Linksys and D-Link ones seem to be
the most prominent headaches.
    Aside from the above tweaking, is there any other suggestions
anyone might have for me, or do I just need to take this card back
and eat the restocking fee.  If so, what other cheapie ($50 or less)
cards work well with FreeBSD?  I would have ordered an identical Accton
but I wanted to get the machine up quickly.  That was last week
(hindsight is 20/20).

2.  When I have both nics inserted, they are both seen through
pccard.conf, but only one is assigned resources.  The second one
(either one, the Accton or the Linksys) is not assigned resources.

I get a message similar to:

    No free configuration for card xxxx

I have also done some research on this problem and could not find any
satisfactory solutions.  It seems that some people have this problem
and others don't, but there is no answer that I can find as to what
the difference is or what can be done about it.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible without being in front of
the machine.  If you need further information, please tell me what
outputs you need me to capture and I will post them by tomorrow.

Thank you for your time.