Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:58:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why nfs is so slow?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> i'm getting about 6MB/s with NFS (100Mbit cross-connect ethernet), while over
> 9.5 by FTP.
>
> nfs is set to work over TCP.

To my mind, this is because NFS is stateless because of being designed to
share filesystem on a whole local network. Thus, every remote procedure
call (the basic NFS operation) is self contained. Thus, every single read
request causes the server to open the file, to read the number of bytes
requested, and to close the file.

If you compare this to a typical peer-to-peer ftp session, the overhead is
obvious. On the other hand, ftp is a very special application.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de