Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:12:54 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        Mathew KANNER <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD playback

Marc van Kempen wrote:

> How is the performance for you?
>
> I've tested xine and it loses a lot of frames, it not really
> usable now.
>
> I read on somewhere that it might be the fault of the
> dvd player not reading data as fast as under Linux. Any thoughts?
>
> My hardware:
>
> (Celeron 600,
> acd0: DVD-ROM <HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-2500> at ata1-master using PIO4,
> Matrox G400 with XFree86 3.3.6)

Well, you've got two problems right off the bat:
1. PIO4, programmed I/O tends to eat a lot of CPU cycles that would
be better spent decoding DVD frames.  There may not be much you can
do about this though.
2. XFree86 3.3.6 tends to be VERY SLOW with bitblts.  Try running
top and see if XF86_SVGA is consuming a large % of your available
CPU time (>5-10%).  If it is, you may want to consider upgrading
to XFree4 and installing the drm support for your card.  It made
a huge difference on my machine (full screen playback went from <1
FPS (at 1280x1024) to ~30FPS with CPU time to spare.

Finally, has anybody else experianced the problem where xine only
runs at 1/2 speed (even the audio?)?  The latest versions seem
to do this on my system, and I am wondering if it is a common
occurance or a fluke on my system.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org