Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 16:11:42 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, sam@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Change to src/sys/kern imgact_shell.c (shell-scripts)

On May 30/2005, Mark Linimon wrote to Garance:
>Garance wrote:
>  > At 10:42 PM +0000 5/28/05, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>  > >
>  > >   Modified files:
>>  >     sys/kern             imgact_shell.c
>>  >   Log:
>>  >   Change the way options are parsed on the `#!'-line of a
>  > > shell-script.
>  >
>>  In case it is not obvious from that description, note that this is
>>  an incompatible change.  However, it is expected that this change
>  > should not effect too many scripts.
>
>Kris and I on portmgr talked about this and came to the conclusion
>that since this might affect some ports, that we should ask you to
>do a FreeBSD version bump.

It looks like Sam Leffler did a version-bump in param.h on Sun May 29
at 19:15:34 2005 UTC, for the import of libpcap + tcpdump. That
version-bump is shortly after my change (which was done on Sat May 28
at 22:42:41 2005 UTC).  So that version bump should be fine for my
change.  A fortunate coincidence for me!

Sam did not update doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.sgml
to document that version bump, so I'm not sure if he has a separate
commit in the wings for that, or if he arranged with someone from the
doc group to update it.  So, I haven't tried to update the docs yet,
but obviously we need to have an entry added the handbook.  I'm also
not too sure how much detail should be put into the entry for the
porters-handbook.  I have the very detailed explanation sitting in
http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/Updating-20050528.txt , but I'm not
sure what would be best for the various places where this change
should be documented.

Sam:        Your Plans?
Doc-group:  Have I written up enough now that I could hide under a
             table and get away with it?

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org