Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:13:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Nguyen-Tuong Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with SYN cache in FreeBSD 4.5

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Nguyen-Tuong Long Le wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Our group has a proprietary web server that can handle 10000 requests/s
> under FreeBSD 4.3 release. We recently upgraded our system to 4.5 and got
> very poor performance. While the web server runs, I see lots of messages
> similar to the following on the console
> "Limiting open port RST response from 1068 to 200 packets per second".
>
> The problem seems to be related to the syncache implementation
> that drops incoming SYN segments. I've tried to increase the size of
> the hash table but that didn't seem to help much. Here is the output
> of "sysctl net.inet.tcp.syncache".

A few questions:

1.  Is this 4.5-release, or 4.5-stable (aka 4.6-RC2)?  4.5-release had a
few bugs in the syn cache which could cause crashes.

2.  Are you using accept filters?  Accept filters act oddly on
4.5-release, you'll have to upgrade to 4.5-stable/4.6.

3.  Could you use tcpdump to determine what exactly is going wrong and
post a url to the log so that we can investigate what is going wrong?

Thanks,

Mike "Silby" Silbersack