Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:02:32 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd@atipa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:32:58 +0930 (CST), Michael Smith wrote:

>Qool!  More to the point, thanks for the less-technical recipie.
>Aside from the odd gripe, I reckon it's worth adding to the handbook
>in a 'munging your hardware for useful results' section.

BTW, I used a meter to measure and verify all the voltages given in
that recipe.  With two machines connected via serial ports and a
crossover cable as outlined in the handbook, I used the kernel
debugger to step through sioprobe line by line, noting the voltage
levels and when they changed.  That in itself was educational.

Even if my recipe has little project value for most readers,  I think
adding it to the handbook (with some of the caveats you mentioned)
will help future readers better understand interrupt sharing and how
FreeBSD supports non-intelligent multiport serial cards.  When I first
read the FreeBSD docs and man page on that topic, I was confused.
Some of it is unclear and misleading.

John