Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:32:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

On 17 Feb, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[Cc stripped]

>>  o Finally, again, it seems to me that the skeleton .cshrc, .profile,
>>  etc. files that are used for accounts creating during install should have the
>>  following variables set:
>>
>>    setenv LC_ALL en_US.ISO_8859-1
>>    setenv LC_CTYPE en_US.ISO_8859-1
>>    setenv LANG en_US.ISO_8859-1
>
> This is a question for the I18N folks; I don't even try to puzzle out
> the various quirks of locale settings these days. :)

IMHO sysinstall or motd should print a little note about the possibility
to set those variables, so Jordan hasn't to mess with them (e.g. for
de_DE one wants to add LC_NUMERIC=C because every lazy script/program
which asks for floats and processes them would break [123.4 -> 123,4]).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
             Been there, done that, can't remember why...

http://www.Leidinger.net                  Alexander+Home @ Leidinger.net
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E