Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:13:48 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: R. Stevens select() Collisions Scenario

* Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se> [000811 10:45] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Yes. :)  When FreeBSD gets scheduler activations you'll be able to change
> > to a single threaded process that will have excellent performance, the
> > scheduler activations are just around the corner.
>
> Can you explain what scheduler activations are?

Please CC.

schedulder activations are like 'LWP on-demand' a really simplified
explanation would be shared address space fork that only happens when
you block in certain parts of the kernel, like during disk/io.

the problem with normal LWP is that if you're going to do any sort
of disk IO you really want an LWP _per_ disk bound thread otherwise
you risk blocking on disk IO inside the kernel, scheduler activations
make sure you almost never block as well as making it unnecessary
to 'pre-allocate' LWP contexts to avoid such problems.