Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:11:35 -0400
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <geoff@click2net.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAO

NB: Please reply to me directly, I'm not on the list

pertinent data: FreeBSD 3.2R on a SONY VAIO laptop, PAO3-19990605
version

I just installed PAO on my SONY VAIO in hopes of getting my 3COM
3CXE589ET PCMCIA eithernet card working. When I boot the laptop with the
PAO install floppies it finds the card and it works because I was able
to download the PAO distributions from the FTP site through it. However
when I reboot the system after the install I get the following errors.

- - -
Initial rc.pccard configuration:
 pcic-memory=0xd0000
pccardc: /dev/card0: Device not configured
 execute pccardd
 pccard-beep=2
pccardc: /dev/card0: Device not configured
.
Doinf initial network setup: hostname.
ifconfig: interface ep0 does not exist
ifconfig: interface ep0 does not exist
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable

- - -
Typical startup stuff follows then syslogd pukes with the error.
  syslogd: syslog/udp: unknown service syslogd: child pid 107 exited
with return code 1

I'm sure I've missed somthing stupid but I can see it.

I can get a 3com 3c589 as listed in the release notes as a last resort.
Does anybody have one of these working?

thanks in advance for any help.

--
Geoffrey Robinson