Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:05:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another go at bandwidth delay product pipeline limiting for TCP

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Matthew Dillon wrote:

I once wrote a traffic shaper to allow people sharing a link to be able
to keep interractive responses good while someone else is FTPing
a big file in..
the theory was that teh line becomes unresponsive because the
majority of teh window is sitting in the send queue on the internet side
of the slow link to the custommer. The answer was to artificially meter
out the acks going back to the ftp bulk data source.
basically instead of queueing incoming data (well you could do that too,)
I queued the outgoing acks and clocked them out by only allowing an ack to
be released and forwarded, when my own 'metered simulation' of the ack
rate had passed the ack in the packet..  It had the desired affect...
With propper tuning you can keep the send queue at the far end of your
slow link to 1 or two packets  and interactive sessions (which were
accounted for, but not controlled) became 'interactive' again
despite the existance of the parallel ftp session using most of the
bandwidth.

Whistle/IBM was going to try for a patent (silly idea I think).
I wonder if they ever did..?