Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 16:03:02 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
To:        wes@softweyr.com
Cc:        jflowers@peony.ezo.net, T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk, eric@svjava.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd box acting as a wavelan BS

> > Last I checked the wi driver will not do IBSS and says so in the
> > documentation.  I also tried it and couldn't get anywhere.  Would be nice.
>
> Uh, er, if you mean to create a service set, Lucent apparently hasn't seen
> fit to release that sort of information about the cards yet.  I can probably
> get access to it, but it would be under NDA and therefore not useful.  Your
> best bet is to bug your friendly neighborhood Lucent rep into releaseing
> the full documentation (and sample source code) to Bill Paul.

Lucent have shipped newer firmware this March which DOES support creating
IBSS.  The verision 6.04 of the firmware creates IBSS by setting wicontrol
-c 1 with -p 1 (BSS mode), and joins to IBSS if no access points found.
It seems that the name of created IBSS follows "network name" specified by
-n option, not "SSID" by -q option.

Regards,

Atsushi Onoe