Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:08:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jim King" <king@sstar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > In summary, however, I would at this very moment recommend the Mylex
> > adapter family over the AMI family.  I'm hoping to bring things to a more
> > equitable state in the coming months, but time alone will tell.
>
> Are there any particular Mylex models to avoid, or that are highly
> recommended?  Some of the older non-Ultra DAC960's are priced attractively
> on eBay.

Not particularly.  As a general rule, you want the 3.x or later firmware,
although what testing I've done with the later 2.x revisions hasn't shown
anything really bad up.  The 4.x firmware also adds the stand-alone array
management tools, which are nice to have.

One advantage you have with the FreeBSD driver is that we support the 2.x
firmware (one flash chip, rather than two), wheras the Linux folks don't.
Performance on these low-end adapters is fairly similar between the 2.x
and 3.x firmware, so you can sometimes score a real bargain if you're
just looking for something to play with.

(The 2.x firmware has had a long life largely because it's what Compaq
are still using in some of their Alpha systems.  I recommend 2.70 at the
moment, but a flash upgrade is fairly easy.)