Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:02:08 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        phantom@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: several locale renames were MFCed

phantom> ja_JP.EUC still present and is a symlink to ja_JP.eucJP
phantom> (i.e. they're absolutely identical).

If it works as expected for other locale-sensitive applications (sorry
I don't know the details of locale implementations),

phantom> Leaving LANG=ja_JP.EUC is enough ?

Maybe.  But once a user knows ja_JP.eucJP locale and it works for
other applications, the user falls to the pitfall.  I think it is
unacceptable behavior for -stable users.

Can we put some comments to release notes? It would be something like that:
    * locale names are changed: blah blah blah...
      (maybe this entry will be appeared ASAP)
	- however, tcsh doesn't recognize that ja_JP.eucJP/ko_KR.eucKR
	  locale requires multibyte support at this time.
	- if you are tcsh user and set LANG environment variable to
	  ja_JP.eucJP/ko_KR.eucKR,
		1) keep it as it used to be, or
		2) change LANG to a new locale name, then put
		   "set dspmbyte=euc" line to your ~/.tcshrc.

Somebody want to argue that adding an entry to relnotes is not
sufficient, but it's better than nothing.  Changing tcsh code is
desired, but it seems that we don't have a time to do that until
4.5-RELEASE is out.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita