Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:22:40 -0500
From:      "John" <warendaj@home.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Has anyone considered ...

    ... the idea of having a CD version of the various FreeBSD installs
available for *download* as .iso format disc images?  I know there are a
couple Linux distros that do this, and it seems like a reasonably sound and
simple idea, and a great convenience.

    Right now I'm up against a problem because the machine which I wish to
install FreeBSD on is hooked up to my cable modem.  This machine was
actually running FreeBSD in the past, but when I hooked it up to the cable
modem I decided to try using Windows NT for that machine instead because of
the potential problems fiddling around getting the machine to properly
authenticate and get an address.  My patience with NT is now wearing thin
and it's given me the will to research my task and decide to try to get
FreeBSD properly configured.
    The problem however, arises that the machine will not be able to
authenticate without some playing around, meaning I CANNOT use the net
install.  This leaves me with a few options obviously, but it just struck me
as I was contemplating how best to go about this install that if I could
just download and burn a CD image it would make this process a lot more
convenient.  I can't imagine that mastering the CD image would be all the
difficult a process either, certainly seeming a great trade for the reward
in convenience.

    Of course, regardless of this, thanks to all the FreeBSD people for such
an astounding product.

-John