Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:06:18 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD off of CDROM

On Wednesday, January 24, 2001, Dave Hayes wrote:
> I was asked recently if it was possible to run a FreeBSD server
> entirely off of CDROM. Now I know that things like /var need to be
> writable, and that the initial question as worded was rather naive.
> However, modulo writable filesystems which can be mounted separately,
> has anyone ever done something like this?

   I've never done it personally, but it is extremely possible.

   What you'd need is a writable medium, preferable a hard disk,
with whatever file system you want to use on it, and a CD with a
stripped-down FreeBSD installation, complete with a kernel that
matches your hardware.

   When you boot into your CD, and after the CD is mounted as /,
mount the disk as a union with the CD /.  The result is that
you'll have the executables on the CD, but any data being written
will go to the disk.  It's the same basic model the FreeBSD
'emergency CD' uses--however, the FreeBSD emergency CD mounts an
MFS partition for you, instead.

   I wouldn't be surprised at all if this works out perfectly for
you, for whatever reason you need such a setup.