Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:45:04 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@FreeBSD.org>, phk@phk.freebsd.dk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Summary: experiences with NanoBSD, successes and nits on a Soekris 4801

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:29:19PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> I'm trying to remember the reason NO_CXX actually exists -- I believe it's
> because our sparc64 port didn't have working C++ for some period of time,
> so we didn't build C++ (and its dependencies).

I created it in March 2000 to make GCC hacking and the process of
upgrading easier for the GCC importer.

> It could well be that NO_CXX is OBE, and we can eliminate it entirely?
> I.e., C++ support libraries and applications are now a basic
> requirement as DHCP is broken without them?

It wasn't really designed as a nob for most people to set.  Its use by
NanoBSD is probably a misuse of it.  There should be a NO_TOOLCHAIN or
NO_TOOLCHAIN_CXX knob for what NO_CXX is probably being used for.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)