Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 16:57:44 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        Theodore Knab <tjk@annapolislinux.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accidently filled my /usr partition

> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 16:46:51 -0800
> From: Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> At 19:33 -0500 1/1/02, Theodore Knab wrote:
> >Hi, I accidently filled my /usr partition. How can I fix it ?
> >

> If its just full, then deleting files you don't need or can easily
> replace till you are below 100% will get things working again.
> However, if something is actively filling the partition, then you
> need to find it and kill it first.  Otherwise it will just fill up
> whatever space you clear out leaving you back where you started.  Try
> checking /var/log/messages to see if anything is reporting the disk
> full.  You should be able to identify any active process trying to
> fill the disk that way.

And, if the partition has soft updates enabled, allow the system at
least two minutes to write the updates to disk after a deletion before
the blocks are actually returned to the available pool.

The command mount will tell you if a partition is mounted with
soft updates:
> mount
/dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s2e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)